Cadets returned to Ripapa Island in Lyttelton Harbour for a visit in May 2012. The island was under the care of the Sea Cadets, and latterly TS Godley, from 1946 until 1990.
National camps would be held there in the summer. Cadets would sling hammocks in the tunnels of Fort Jervois at night.
Fort Jervois was built during the “Russian Scare” of the late 19th century and housed the “disappearing” Armstrong guns, which retracted below ground level when not being fired.
The photos were taken by Lieutenant Commander Guy Ditfort NZCF.